Please be patient while I make this blog pretty and add more content.
Take a look at my Etsy shop to see what items I have for sale:
www.createdbykelli.etsy.com

Monday, January 28, 2013

Pattern: Lacy Bonnet Cap

 I came up with this fairly basic cap, and absolutely loved how cute and feminine it turned out! In the first picture, I had it pulled back a little bit, so it looked a lot more like a bonnet. I think it would be especially adorable with an old-fashioned nightgown!
In this one it's pulled down farther, so it's a bit more centered over her head. It looks less like a bonnet, and would be cute to wear any day. I only have the instructions for sizes 1-3 years and 3-6 years right now. I will right up the rest in the future, but if you have a specific size you would like first, let me know in the comments!


So I actually came up with this pattern as I was making hats to send to a children's oncology ward. I tucked my daughter's hair up to see what it would look like. I think any little girl would love this hat. If you did it all in one color, you could add a flower in a contrasting color (I thought it was too much when I already had the two colors here).

The Pattern

This is for sizes 1-3 years (pictured) and 3-6 years (slightly longer brim). I will write up the other sizes in the future.

MATERIALS
Worsted weight yarn in main color (MC)
Worsted weight yarn in white/contrasting color (CC)
I/9 hook

INSTRUCTIONS
Rnd 1: With MC, make 8hdc in a magic ring, slst to join (8hdc)
Rnd 2: Ch2 (counts as first hdc here and in rest of pattern), hdc in same stitch as joining. 2hdc in each remaining stitch, slst to top of ch2 (16hdc)
Rnd 3: Ch2, 2hdc in next stitch, [1hdc in next, 2hdc in next] 7 times, slst (24hdc)
Rnd 4: Ch2, 1hdc in next stitch, 2hdc in next stitch, [1 hdc in each of next 2 stitches, 2hdc in next] 7 times, slst (32hdc)
Rnd 5: Ch2, 1hdc in each of next 2 stitches, 2hdc in next stitch, [1 hdc in each of next 3 stitches, 2hdc in next] 7 times, slst (40hdc)
Rnd 6: Ch2, 1hdc in each of next 3 stitches, 2hdc in next stitch, [1 hdc in each of next 4 stitches, 2hdc in next] 7 times, slst (48hdc)
Rnd 7: Ch2, 1hdc in each of next 4 stitches, 2hdc in next stitch, [1 hdc in each of next 5 stitches, 2hdc in next] 7 times, slst (56hdc)
Rnds 8-17: Ch2, 1hdc in each stitch around, slst (56hdc)

If making size 1-3years, fasten off and skip to Rnd 19. Otherwise, continue to Rnd 18.

Rnd 18: Ch2, 1hdc in each stitch around, slst, FO (56hdc)

Rnd 19: With CC, join in last stitch of previous round with slst. *Skip 1 stitch, 5dc in next stitch, skip 1 stitch, slst in next stitch: shell made.** Repeat from * to ** 13 more times, ending with a slst in the same stitch as 1st of this round. Fasten off. (14 shells)

Variation: For a slightly lacier look, complete Rnd 19 as follows --
With CC, join in last stitch of previous round with slst. *Ch1, skip 1 stitch, [dc, ch1, dc] in next stitch, ch1, skip 1 stitch, slst in next stitch: shell made.** Repeat from * to ** 13 more times, ending with a slst in the same stitch as 1st of this round. Fasten off. (14 shells)

2 comments: